Friday, August 13, 2010

10 years of wedded bliss



Last Thursday was our 10 year anniversary. Wow, hardly seems like we've been married for 10 years. It seems like just yesterday we decided to elope and get married on a mountain top in beautiful North Carolina. What a perfect, romantic day - I wouldn't change anything, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Bryan and I decided select new rings for our 10 year anniversary. Most everyone knows our story - we got cheap rings a few days before we eloped, as time was a factor. The plan was to select our "real" rings after we returned home. Well, that never happen. Once we were married, we didn't feel as if we needed "better" rings. Bryan wanted me to have diamond, but I refused - the ring I got married in was the ring I wanted to wear. No diamond was required, just a simple silver band. The best part is this . . . both our rings were under $20. I have to admit this made me laugh, as in these past 10 years, as I have known a few people with huge rocks on their hands end up in divorce. Obviously, we all know that the size of the rock has nothing do to do with happiness of the marriage.

Bryan and I made our final " anniversary ring" selections in June (funny enough we made our decisions while we just attended a wedding and were killing time until the reception began). Last Saturday night we planned to go to the jeweler and purchase the rings.It would take about 3 weeks for the rings to arrive. Before making the final purchase we planned to go to one of my favorite restaurants - Downtown 140, for drinks and appetizers (which is located a few stores over). Well, my Bryan had something up his sleeve . . . (usually I know when he is up to something - this time he totally surprised me)

We arrived at Downtown 140 and they sat us at their special chef's table which has a direct view into the kitchen, heck it is almost in the kitchen (which Bryan reserved). I was a little confused at this. I asked Bryan if they knew we were only staying for drinks/appetizers and NOT a full dinner? I was quite aware how special this table was. He reassured with our server that indeed we could sit at this special table.

Bryan asked if I wanted champagne in lieu of wine. Sure, why not. (This was odd, we NEVER order champagne). We looked at the menu and Bryan suggested a cheese tray. We have ordered this many times before, but it never gets old at Downtown 140, so I agreed. When the cheese tray arrived, it had 2 black boxes on it, one read "his" and the other, "hers" - they were our rings! Bryan had already ordered them. I cried and was totally surprised. Bryan says I never cry, so when I cried he said, " Oh, I made you cry!" Now he knows that buying me diamonds is the way to make me cry . . . LOL.

So now I understand why all the staff was looking at us when we arrived. I thought it was because we looked so cute, as Bryan and I have been working REALLY hard to look good for our future French Polynesian vacation . . . LOL. Nah, they were in on the surprise along with the jeweler, that Bryan spent all this time arranging for the perfect night.

So, Sharon finally has a diamond!

Oh, and by the way Bryan has diamond too. The ring he selected is brushed platinum with small princess cut diamond.

Every day I feel so happy that I met Bryan and how I could ever be so lucky to be married to him. He is the love of my life. Thanks to Alexa and Roger :)




6 comments:

iffles said...

aww! So sweet! Congrats to you both - and a pretty ring, too!

Mom said...

I love the ring, what a nice thing for Bryan to do, but it does not surprise me at all - you are right he is a great guy - for a great girl, of course, I am prejudice.

Anonymous said...

Which Roger?

Cheryl said...

OMG - I got teary-eyed just reading about how he surprised you....to think that he went to such lengths to create that kind of romantic night after 10 years - love it. I think you should keep him :)

Love the ring - it is so "Sharon". Glad you two finally indulged in the upgrade. At the same time, knowing that you spent 10 years with your $20 rings when you could easily have afforded more is refreshing - just goes to show what's really important. So happy you two found each other - no marriage is perfect, but yours seems to be pretty darn close.

Love you both.

Cheryl said...

BTW - I really like the long hair on you Sharon - reminds me of when we met. Looks very pretty.

Sharon said...

Which Roger? Dah . . . Bryan's dad.